Monday, May 10, 2010

Volcanic Ash Delays Flights

Hello there.

After our very short flight to Houston, Daja, Allison and I went straight to our gate to catch our next flight to London. Upon reaching our gate we noticed a very long line at the check in counter which we joined immediately because...well, if there's a line then we've been trained to stand in it! After about 30 minutes of not moving an inch, I asked the people around us what the line was for and they had no idea. Stepping out of line and asking more questions I realized that our flight had been delayed 5 hours due to the Icelandic volcanic ash cloud and we were actually standing in line for food vouchers. Later we took a train to a bus back to a bus to a train... (Houston's airport isn't small like Lafayette) and finally ate at Chili's with our vouchers.

After some wisdom and insight from Eric, we decided that when we got to London we'd stay the night there and fly out the next day with Team B (Faith, Ben, Tony, Christian, Edward, Shelly, and Blair). My uncle (who lives in London) met us at the gate and brought us home with him where my aunt and cousins were there waiting with a wonderful warm dinner! My aunt, Daja and I went for a walk and Allison went straight to bed. Headed out in the morning for Athens!

Team B (by my time) should have left about an hour ago, to land about now in Houston. Not sure how there connecting flight will go but I will certainly keep you updated! Going to try to get some sleep now.

Kelsey

1 comment: